Did you know that gardening is not only great exercise, but that playing in the dirt can keep you healthy both physically and mentally?
It’s true. Dirt has so many different things growing in it, it actually helps build your immune system by exposing you to these microbes. In fact, the BBC recently did an article all about how it can help.
Here’s just a few reasons why gardening is great for your health:
- Good exercise when digging or planting
- Exposes you to sunshine for vitamin D (wear sunscreen!)
- Dirt microbes can help strengthen your immune system
- Peaceful space for a mental health break
- Growing your own food is not only an accomplishment but can also be more nutritious
- Growing flowers can help the pollinators, which help food production
- Great bonding experience with children or friends (unless you prefer alone time)